WHY DOES HAIR LOSS AFFECT WOMEN?
Reasons of hair loss in women: a discussion of the most common female hair loss causes
Believe it or not there are many reasons for hair loss and hair thinning occuring in women, this is not uncommon. DNAIndia.com recently reported an increase number of women seeking help and answers on why hair loss affects them. The great news is help is out there and the hair restoration industry has come a long way in the last years.
Dr. Manoj Khanna, ISHRS member, spoke to DNAIndia.com and states: “The hair transplant industry is at an interesting phase and is flourishing and looks bright. There are few surgeries which are leading in aesthetics; hair transplant surgery is one of them”.
So let’s look at the 3 main reasons of hair loss in women: hair thinning, hair shedding and hair breakage.
1. Hair thinning is called Female Pattern Hair Loss and represents a thinning of the hair over the crown of the head resulting in widening of the middle hair parting. This is the equivalent of the common male pattern baldness seen in men. This is generally inherited, but can also reflect an underlying hormonal imbalance like polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
2. Increased hair shedding is called telogen effluvium, the most common causes of which are acute illnesses like typhoid and malaria, poor nutrition, iron deficiency, thyroid disorders etc.
3. Hair breakage is not true hair loss from the roots but represents hair that breaks along its length during shampooing, combing and hair styling. Hair bleaching, coloring, ironing, straightening etc make the hair bonds weaker, making it easier to break.
Several lifestyle habits play into hair loss as well. Extreme weight loss or poor diet can be big female hair loss causes. Low iron levels and stress too are important to look at. Hair needs a healthy diet and a well-functioning endocrine system to flourish.
Excessive use of styling aids (hair products), tools like strengtheners and irons can all cause drying and breakage to the hair. Pay close attention to what your do to your hair and what you put into your body. Here are 5 quick tips to maintaining good health and ultimately good hair health:
1. You are what you eat and your hair reflects that. Include iron, zinc and vitamin C in your diet. Eat fruits and raw veggies. Hair is made up of protein called Keratin hence a protein rich diet is recommended.
2. Make sure you know your hair products. Wash your hair regularly to keep the scalp clean.
3. Limit the stress you put on your hair and scalp from hair treatments and coloring.
4. Pamper your hair with a good conditioning treatment.
5. No sleep, no beauty. Maintaining a good sleep pattern helps with stress!