Francisco Jimenez, MD, FISHRS
Mediteknia Dermatology and Hair Transplant Clinic
Alcalde Ramirez Bethencourt, 20 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Las Palmas, Canary Islands
Education, ISHRS Fellowship Training Programs, & Board Certifications
FELLOWSHIP TRAINING PROGRAM
Dr. Jimenez has just started in 2017 a Fellowship Training Program in Hair Restoration Surgery accredited by the ISHRS. Our fellowship covers all aspects of hair science, with a very interesting mixture of clinical, surgery and hair research. The fellow, who must preferably be a dermatologist specialist, will have the opportunity to actively participate (hands-on) in more than 100 hair transplants per year and should have a valid full medical License that allows him/her to practice medicine in Spain. Our fellowship is especially attractive for doctors with interest and/or experience in research, as he/her will spend 20-30% of the time doing research work at our Lab, "Mediteknia Skin & Hair Lab". If you want to receive further information regarding our Fellowship program and you fulfill the requeriments, please fill out the application form and send it to us ([email protected]):
Books / Chapters:
1. Jimenez F, Hernandez I, Poblet E. The macro and microscopic anatomy of the hair follicle and follicular unit. Chapter of next edition of Unger / Shapiro textbook.
2. Jimenez F. Hairline design/ Holding solutions/Graft Creation.Chapter 4. Hair Transplantation. Aesthetic Series. Marc Avram Series Editor. Jaypee Brothers, 2015.
3. Jimenez F. Anatomy and Physiology of Hair. Hair Transplantation: the art of micrografting and minigrafting. Editors: Chapter 1. Barrera A, Uebel C. CRC Press, 2013
4. Jimenez F. Stamp design for recipient-site creation. Hair Transplant 360. Chapter 9. Editor: Sam Lam. Jaypee Brothers, 2013.
5. Jimenez F. A practical approach to the Donor Area. Hair Transplantation. Editor: Walter Unger, 2010.
6. Jiménez F. The donor area. Hair Transplantation. Editors: Avram M, Rogers NE. Cambridge Univ Press 2010, 15-22.
7. Jimenez F, Poblet E. Gross and microscopic anatomy of the follicular unit. Hair Transplantation. Editors: Haber R, Stough D. Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2006:35-42.
8. Kerdel F. Jiménez-Acosta F. Dermatology: Just the Facts. McGraw-Hill, 2003
9. Avram M, Stough D, Jimenez F. Hair transplantation: mini and micrografting techniques. Dermatologic Surgery. Editor: John Ratz. Lippincott-Raven.1998; 499-546.
10. Stough DB, Jimenez F. Single hair grafting. Dermatologic Surgery: Principles and Practices, 2 Ed. Editor: Roenigk HH, Roegnik RK. Marcel Dekker, New York, 1996:1205-1212.
11. Stough DB, Jimenez F. Adverse Consequences in Hair restoration surgery. Hair Replacement: surgical and medical. Editor: Dowling Stough. Publisher: Mosby, St.Louis, 1995:299-305.
Publications in Peer Reviewed International Journals
1. Actualización metodo FUE del trasplante de pelo. An update in FUE hair transplantation. Actas Dermosifiliográfica 2017 (in press)
2. Martinez ML, Escario E, Poblet E, Sanchez D, Buchon F, Izeta A, Jimenez F. Hair follicle-containing punch grafts accelerate chronic ulcer healing: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Acad Dermatol 2016; 75:1007-14.
3. Jimenez F, Harries M, Poblet E. Frontal fibrosing alopecia: a disease fascinating for the researcher, disappointing for the clinician and distressing for the patient. Exp Dermatol 2016; 25:853-4.
4. Fox J, Baquerizo-Nole KL, Van Driessche F, Yim E, Nusbaum B, Jimenez F, Kirsner RS. Optimizing Skin Grafting Using Hair derived Skin Grafts: The Healing Potential of Hair Follicle Pluripotent Stem Cells. Wounds 2016; 28: 109-11
5. Poblet E, Jimenez F, Hardman J, Escario E, Paus R. Is the eccrine gland and an integral, functionally important component of the scalp pilosebaceous unit? Exp Dermatol 2016; 25: 149-50
6. Jimenez F, Shiell RC. The Okuda papers: an extraordinary- but unfortunately unrecognized- pice of work that could have changed the history of hair transplantation. Exp Dermatol 2015; 24: 185-6.
7. Martinez ML, Escario E, Jimenez F. Healing of recalcitrant chronic venous leg ulcers by punch grafts harvested from the scalp. Dermatol Surg 2015; 41: 2086-7.
8. Jimenez F, Poblet E, Izeta A. Reflections of how the wound healing promoting effect of the hair follicles can be translated into clinical practice. Exp Dermatol 2015; 24: 91-4.
9. Ortega-Santana F, Limiñana JM, Ruano F, Ortega-Centol A, Palomino-Martín, Jiménez F. The influence of the CIVIQ dimensions on the quality of life of patients with primary superficial venous incompetence. European J Vasc and Endov Surg 2014; 48: 452-8.
10. Sode T, Cao T, Elgart GW, Jimenez F, Grichnik JM. Enhancing techniques to evaluate tumor margins. J Am Acad Dermatol 2014; 71:827-9.
11. Purba T, Haslam I, Poblet E, Jimenez F, Gandarillas A, Izeta A, Paus R. Human epithelial hair follicle stem cells and their progeny: Current state of knowledge, the widening gap in translational research and future challenges. Bioessays 2013; 36: 513-25.
12. Jimenez F, Garde C, Poblet E, et al. A pilot clinical study of hair grafting in chronic leg ulcers. Wound Repair and Regeneration 2012; 20: 806-14.
13. Vogel JE, Jimenez F, Cole J, et al. Hair Restoration Surgery: The State of the Art. Aesthet Surg J 2013; 33: 128-513.
14. Jimenez F, Poblet E. Is hair transplantation indicated in frontal fibrosing alopecia? The results of test grafting in three patients. Dermatol Surg 2013; 39:1115-1118.
15. Jimenez F. Lichen Planopilaris after hair restoration. Derm Surg 2012; 38:2005.
16. Jiménez F, Sosa-Cabrera D. Template stamps to accurate estímate recipient site density in hair Transplantation. Dermatol Surg 2012;38:1383-5.
17. Jiménez F. Blunt needles (microcannulae) for infiltrating local anesthetics. Dermatol Surg 2012;38:511-5.
18. Jimenez F. Hair transplantation and female hairlines. Dermatol Surg 2011; 37:501-2.
19. Jiménez F. Izeta A, Poblet E. Morphometric analysis of the human scalp hair follicle: practical implications for the hair transplant surgeon and hair regeneration studies. Dermatol Surg 2011; 37: 58-64.
20. Gutiérrez-Rivera A, Pavón-Rodriguez A, Jiménez-Acosta F, et al. Functional characterization of highly adherent CD34+ keratinocytes isolated from human skin. Exp Dermatol 2010; 19: 682-96.
21. Poblet E, Jimenez F. CD10 and CD34 in fetal and adult human hair follicles: dynamic changes in their immunohistochemical expression during embryiogenesis and hair cycling. Br J Dermatol 2008; 159: 646-52.
22. Poblet E, Jiménez F, Pascual A, Piqué E. Frontal fibrosing alopecia versus lichenplanopilares: a clinicopathologicalstudy. International J Dermatol 2006; 45: 375-80.
23. Poblet E, Jimenez F, Godinez JM, Pascual-Martín A, Izeta A. The immunohistochemical expression of CD34 in human hair follicles: a comparative study with the bulge marker CK15. Clin Exp Dermatol 2006; 31: 807-12.
24. Poblet E, Jimenez F, de Cabo C, et al. The calcium-binding protein calretinin is a marker of the companioin cell layer of the human hair follicle. Br J Dermatol 2005; 152: 1316-20.
25. Poblet E, Jiménez F, Ortega F. The contribution of the arrectorpili muscle and sebaceous glands to the follicular unit structure. J Am AcadDermatol 2004; 51: 217-22.
26. Poblet E, Jimenez F. CD34 in human hair follicle. J Invest Dermatol 2003; 121: 1220.
27. Poblet E, Ortega F, Jiménez F.The arrectorpili muscle and the follicular unit of the scalp: a microscopic anatomy study.DermatolSurg 2002; 28: 800-3.
28. Jiménez F, Ruifernández JM. Distribution of human hair in follicular units: a mathematical model for estimating the donor size in follicular unit transplantation. Dermatologic Surgery 1999; 25: 294-99.
29. Bernstein R, Rassman W, Seager D, Unger W, Limmer BL, Jimenez F, et al. The future in hair transplantation. Aesthetic Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery. 1999; 1:55-89.
30. Stough D, Jimenez F. Mini and micrografting hair transplantation: practical considerations. Cosmetic Dermatology1996.
31. Poblet E, Gonzalez-Palacios F, Jimenez F. Different immunoreactivity of endothelial markers in well and poorly differentiated areas of angiosarcomas. Virchows Arch 1996; 428:217-21.
32. Jimenez F, Burchette J, Grichnik JM, Hitchcock M. Ber-EP4 immunoreactivity in normal skin and cutaneous neoplasms. Modern Pathology 1995; 8:854-8.
33. Stough DB, Avram M, Jimenez F. Hair: don't stop thinking about tomorrow, it'll soon be here. Dermatologic Surgery 1995; 21:415-6.
34. Jimenez F, Avram M, Stough DB. The Yeh needle: a solid needle for single hair recipient sites. Journal American Academy of Dermatology 1995; 32:1041-
35. Grichnik JM, Jimenez F, Buchanan M, Blackwell S, Clark RE, Kurtzberg J, Crawford J. Human recombinant stem cell factor induces melanocytic hyperplasia in susceptible patients. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 1995; 33:577-83.
36. Stough D, Jimenez F, Potter TS. A redifinition of male pattern baldness. Dermatologic Surgery 1996; 22:479-486.
37. Jimenez F, Clark R, Buchanan MD, Kamino H. Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the skin: a case report treated with Mohs micrographic surgery in combination wihimmunostaining for cytokeratins.Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 1995; 32:878-81.
38. Jimenez F, Grichnik J, Buchanan MD, Clark RE. Immunohistochemical techniques in Mohs micrographic surgery: Their potential use in the detection of neoplastic cells masked by inflammation. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 1995; 32:89-94.
39. Jimenez F, Grichnik J, Buchanan MD, Clark RE. Immunohistochemical margin control applied to Mohs micrographic surgical excision of dermatofibrosarcomaprotuberans. Journal of Dermatologic Surgery and Oncology 1994; 20:687-9.
40. Jimenez F, Grichnik J, Clark RE. CD34 positive spindle cells in nerves. Journal of Cutaneous Pathology 1994; 21:189-90.
41. Jimenez F. Painful plantar callosities and mental retardation. Archives of Dermatology 1994; 130:507-12.
42. Clark RE, Jimenez F. Poikiloderma of Civatte: resolution with the pulsed dye laser. North Carolina Medical Journal1994; 55:234-5.
43. Jimenez F, Redondo E, Baez O, Hernandez B. Linear unilateral basaloidfollicularhamartoma.Journal of American Academy of Dermatology 1992; 27:316-9.
44. Blauvelt A, Harris HR, Hogan DJ, Jimenez F, Ponce I, Pardo R. Porphyria cutaneatarda and human immunodeficiency virus infection. International Journal of Dermatology 1992; 31:474-9.
45. Hevia O, Jimenez F, Ceballos P, Gould EW, Penneys NS. Pruritic papular eruption of the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome: a clinicopathologic study. Journal American Academy of Dermatology 1991; 24:231-5.
46. Dhawan SS, Jimenez F, Poppiti RJ, Barkin JS. Subcutaneous fat necrosis associated with pancreatitis: histochemical and electron microscopic findings. American Journal of Gastroenterology 1990; 85:1025-8.
47. Wasserteil V, Jimenez F, Kerdel F. Disseminated histoplasmosis presenting as a rosacea‑like eruption in a patient with AIDS. International Journal of Dermatology 1990; 29:649-651.
48. Jimenez F, Planas L, Penneys NS. Lipase expression in human skin. Journal of Dermatological Science 1990; 195‑200.
49. Ceballos P, Jimenez F, Penneys NS. Immunohistochemical techniques in non‑neoplastic conditions. Seminars in Dermatology 1989; 8:276‑80.
50. Jimenez F, Pardo R, Cohen R, Gould E, Penneys NS. Bacillary angiomatosis of AIDS: a case report and review of the literature. Journal of American Academy of Dermatology1990; 22:525‑9.
51. Jimenez F, Penneys NS. Treatment of cutaneous complications of AIDS. Journal of Dermatological Treatment 1989; 1:111‑6.
52. Jimenez F, Planas L, Penneys NS. Demodex mites contain immunoreactive lipase. Archives of Dermatology 1989; 125:1436‑7.
53. Varela J, Valencia J, Jimenez F, Torres A. Epitheloid sarcoma. European Journal of Plastic Surgery 1989; 12:138-141.
54. Casado M, Jimenez F, Borbujo J, Martinez W, Almagro M, Soto‑Melo J. Keratodermapalmoplantarisstriata. Clin Exp Dermatol 1989; 14:240‑242.
55. Casado M, Jimenez F, Borbujo J, Almagro M. Spontaneous healing of Kaposi's angiosarcoma of the penis. Journal of Urology 1988; 139:1313‑1315.
56. Jimenez F, Fonseca E, Magallon M. Response to tetracycline of telangiectasias in a male hemophiliac with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Journal American Academy Dermatology 1988; 19:369‑ 370.
57. Jimenez F, Viguer JM, Vicandi B. Diagnostic value of cutaneous cytology in opportunistic fungal infections of patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Journal American Academy Dermatology 1988; 18:383‑384.
58. Jimenez F, Casado M., Borbujo J, Soto Melo J, Viguer JM, Sanjurjo M. Cutaneous cryptococcosis mimicking molluscumcontagiosum in a haemophiliac with AIDS. Clinical Experimental Dermatology1987; 12:446‑450.
About the Doctor
Dr. Francisco Jimenez was born in the Canary Islands, Spain. He received his medical degree at the University of Navarra (Pamplona) and completed his Dermatology residency and Doctoral Thesis at the University of Madrid. He is certified in Dermatopathology by the University of Miami, and in Dermatologic and Mohs Surgery by Duke University.
Dr. Jimenez has been in the field of hair transplantation since 1993. His mentor was Dr. Dow Stough, with whom he completed a one year fellowship in hair restoration surgery at the Stough Clinic (Hot Springs, Arkansas).
Dr. Jimenez was awarded with the prestigious ISHRS Platinum Follicle Award in 2011 for his contribution in hair restoration surgery research. Currently, Dr. Jimenez is member of the Board of Governors of the ISHRS and Secretary of its Executive Committee.
Other academic achievements include Past editor of the Hair Transplant Forum and Chairman of the ISHRS annual meeting in Las Bahamas in 2012.
Dr. Jimenez has lectured in many hair related meetings and workshops seminars, as well as at the meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology and the annual ISHRS meeting. The publications of Dr. Jimenez in textbooks and scientific journals are listed in the Publications and Presentations paragraph below.
Currently, Dr. Jimenez runs a private dermatology and hair transplant clinic practive (Mediteknia) in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Canary Islands, Spain). His clinic include a laboratory section (Mediteknia Skin & Hair Lab) with appropiate equipment to perform hair follicle organ culture, histologic sections and immunostainings. He is also associate researcher of the Medical Pathology Group of the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and collaborates with other research groups, mainly with the Monasterium Lab and the Hair Research Lab of the University of Manchester under the direction of Professor Ralf Paus, and with Professor Ander Izeta from the Instituto Biodonostia (San Sebastian).
His current technique is follicular unit hair transplantation, both with the FUE technique and with FUT (strip harvesting).
The current lines of investigation in "Mediteknia Skin & Hair Lab" are:
- Hair Follicle and eccrine gland organ culture.
- Hair Follicle and wound healing.
ISHRS Join Year
ISHRS World Congresses Attended