The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery is a non-profit medical association composed of more than 1,000 members who specialize in hair loss treatments and restoration.
Since its incorporation in 1993, a renaissance in hair transplantation surgery was set into motion by the ISHRS. The multidisciplinary, international membership of the ISHRS became a critical mass for an explosion of innovation in hair transplantation surgery. The Society’s annual World Congress is a highlight of the year, where the top minds in hair restoration surgery come together.
Who We Are
The ISHRS is an international, non-profit medical society comprised of over 1,000 members representing 70 countries – dedicated to promulgating the highest standards of medical practice and medical ethics. Member categories include fellow, member, associate member, adjunct (researchers), residents, and surgical assistants. Since its incorporation in 1993, a renaissance in hair restoration surgery was set into motion by the ISHRS. The multidisciplinary, international membership of the ISHRS is a critical mass for innovation in hair restoration surgery.
The ISHRS provides continuing medical education to physicians and fosters an environment of open dialogue, sharing, and collegiality. The ISHRS gives the public the latest information on medical and surgical treatments for hair loss. The ISHRS is accredited by the Accreditation Council on Continuing Medical Education and is a member of the American Medical Association’s House of Delegates. The ISHRS hosts the Global Council of Hair Restoration Surgery Societies which is comprised of the regional and national hair restoration surgery societies around the world.
The primary educational offerings include the Annual Scientific Meeting which rotates the globe, the ISHRS’s publication, Hair Transplant Forum International, which is published 6 times per year, the Orlando Live Surgery Workshop, regional workshops, and online webinars and products.
The ISHRS also coordinates an annual Newcomers Program as well as a Fellowship Training Program. In addition, the ISHRS has published and maintains the Core Curriculum in Hair Restoration Surgery, and the Core Competencies for Hair Restoration Surgeons. The ISHRS also provides annual research grants to relevant clinical research projects directed toward the subject of hair restoration.
The ISHRS’s pro bono program, Operation Restore, was initiated in 2004 and matches volunteer ISHRS physicians with prospective hair restoration patients suffering from hair loss as a result of trauma or disease who lack the resources to obtain treatment on their own. The program has provided over $500,000 USD of free surgery and travel expenses.
Benefits of ISHRS membership
- REDUCED REGISTRATION FEES for ISHRS annual meetings, live surgery workshops, online webinars, and other educational programs and products
- Subscription to the bi-monthly newsletter, HAIR TRANSPLANT FORUM INTERNATIONAL
- Access to the ONLINE Forum ePub
- Subscription to the peer-reviewed journal, DERMATOLOGIC SURGERY, and electronic journals, HUMAN TRICHOLOGY, and DRUGS IN DERMATOLOGY (physicians only)
- Opportunities to earn CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION (CME) credits – AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ and AAD Category 1 CME Credits
- Eligibility for research grants
- Special rates on textbooks
- ISHRS.org– A comprehensive informational website on hair loss and restoration. Free listing with Physician Profile for (full ) Member and Fellow physician members. Free downloadable patient brochure in multiple languages.
- UNIFIED PUBLIC RELATIONS effort to increase the public’s perception and awareness of hair restoration surgery
- A team of leaders, volunteers and staff dedicated to making the ISHRS a valuable resource to the profession.
Categories of Membership
There are several categories of membership and different classes among the physician categories. Most new applicants begin as Associate Members, and then after completing additional educational requirements may elevate their membership to full Member category or Fellow Member (FISHRS) category.
How to Apply for Membership
Apply for Membership
To apply to become a member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery:
- Click on the link below to watch the New Member Video
- Jot down the password at the end of the New Member Video
- Open the Membership Application
- Enter the password when prompted
- Return your completed application including your application fee, medical license, C.V., two letters of recommendation and the cover page to [email protected]
2019 Membership Application Deadline: July 1, 2019