WORLD’S LARGEST MEDICAL SOCIETY TREATING HAIR LOSS REMINDS CONSUMERS PHYSICIAN TRAINING IS KEY TO SUCCESSFUL TREATMENT OUTCOMES
GENEVA, IL. – August 12, 2019. While the worldwide market for hair restoration has increased tremendously over the past decade, the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) is warning consumers seeking help for hair loss to be vigilant in researching physicians’ credentials and training to ensure they are properly trained and qualified to perform hair restoration surgery.
A recent news report in Beijing, China, exposed a fraudulent, crash-course training center in hair transplantation that poses significant risks for unsuspecting patients.
“The ISHRS is committed to educating consumers about the dangerous practice of unlicensed and unqualified persons performing hair transplants illegally and in black market clinics around the world,” said Ricardo Mejia, MD, chair of the ISHRS Committee on Issues Pertaining to the Unlicensed Practice of Medicine. “Our members treating patients who are victims of this growing, unethical practice report a host of problems including scarring, unnatural hairlines, hair growth in the wrong direction, and serious infections, among other issues.”
Today, hair restoration techniques, instruments and improved technology contribute to virtually undetectable results. However, Dr. Mejia emphasized that results are dependent on a surgeon’s training and experience. The ISHRS is at the forefront of physician training, providing the highest quality education to physicians ensuring they have access to the latest innovations and scientific research related to hair loss and treatments.
In addition to hosting the world’s largest annual scientific congress for hair transplant surgeons and their surgical assistants that has greatly contributed to the advancement of the specialty, the ISHRS offers high-quality core courses, a world-renown journal, access to live surgery workshops, and a vast network of physicians where members can exchange ideas and knowledge.
The ISHRS encourages consumers to do their homework when considering a physician to perform hair restoration surgery and recommends these important steps to help make informed decisions:
- Do Your Research — Become familiar with the causes of hair loss and its treatments. Seek input from hair restoration patients who have undergone the procedure whenever possible.
- Find a Doctor — The ISHRS can help patients find a qualified, trained physician who has met the requirements of ISHRS membership through its “Find a Doctor” tool at https://ishrs.org/find-a-doctor/.
- Prepare For Your Appointment — Develop a list of questions to ask your physician during your appointment, which will help provide insights into your physician’s training, experience and comfort level with your individual case.
- Gain Confidence in Your Physician — A patient’s trust in his or her physician is often as much a matter of ‘comfort level’ as it is knowledge of training and experience. If you are seeking to travel abroad for surgery, make sure you know who the doctor is that will be doing the surgery.
- Determine Treatment Options — Expect to review your full medical history with your physician, and tests may be ordered to determine an accurate diagnosis and the cause of your hair loss. With an accurate diagnosis, your physician will be able to discuss recommended treatment options, costs and timelines to achieve optimal results.
“When performed correctly with a qualified and well trained physician, hair restoration surgery can significantly improve one’s overall quality of life,” said Dr. Mejia. “Spending time researching your treatment options and physicians is a smart investment for anyone seeking help for hair loss.”
The ISHRS has created the consumer awareness campaign to help patients find relevant information when considering a hair transplant, including how to evaluate a surgeon’s credentials and patient photos illustrating the dangers and problems that occur when clinics do not have the patient’s best interest. For more information, visit: https://ishrs.org/bewarehtblackmarket/.
About the ISHRS
The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) is a global non-profit medical association and the leading authority on hair loss treatment and restoration with more than 1,200 members throughout 70 countries worldwide. Above all, the ISHRS is dedicated to achieving excellence in patient outcomes by promoting the highest standards of medical practice, medical ethics, and research in the medical hair restoration industry. The ISHRS also provides continuing medical education to physicians specializing in hair transplant surgery and is committed to delivering the latest information on medical and surgical treatments to consumers suffering from hair loss, and most commonly from androgenetic alopecia—male pattern baldness and female pattern hair loss. It was founded in 1993 as the first international society to promote continuing quality improvement and education for professionals in the field of hair restoration surgery. For more information and to locate a physician, visit www.ishrs.org. Follow ISHRS on Twitter @ISHRS.