World’s Leading Hair Loss Experts Commemorate Society’s 20th Anniversary, October 17-20, 2012, in Paradise Island, The Bahamas
GENEVA, IL. – September 24, 2012
According to a recent member survey conducted by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS), the total extrapolated worldwide market size for hair restoration surgery increased 47.9 percent from 2008 to 2010. What’s the reason for this tremendous growth? Hair loss experts believe the demand for hair restoration is driven by the advancements over the last two decades that have resulted in more natural results for both men and women.
Hair will take center stage when more than 500 physicians and surgical assistants from around the world dedicated to advancing the art and science of hair restoration gather for the ISHRS’s 20th Annual Scientific Meeting, October 17-20, 2012, at the Atlantis Paradise Island in The Bahamas. This meeting will kick off the 20th Anniversary of the ISHRS, where members will celebrate 20 years of research, education and collegiality.
“Delegates at our 20th anniversary annual meeting will hear a range of new developments designed to navigate the most optimum pathway forward into the next 20 years and beyond,” said ISHRS President Dr. Jennifer H. Martinick. “Much hard work has and will continue to be done to encourage excellence in education and ongoing professional development of members, which will allow us to better serve our patients.”
This year’s scientific program, with the theme “New Trends in Hair Restoration: Surgery and Science,” will feature presentations by some of the world’s leading hair restoration experts. A sampling of the hot topics to be presented at the ISHRS Annual Meeting includes:
- Emerging therapies and different strategies to induce hair growth
- New research on the protein prostaglandin D2, which recently has been reported to be present in balding areas and appears to play a role in the etiology of adrogenetic alopecia
- An update on cell-based hair regeneration studies
- Scalp injection of active embryonic-like, cell-secreted proteins and growth factors
- Scientific evidence that environment, diet and lifestyle may contribute to epigenetic regulations of hormones and are likely to influence hair growth
- How hair highlighting can chemically burn the scalp and lead to permanent scarring hair loss
- A review of different techniques for eyebrow transplantation
- Current status of research and therapy to prevent chemotherapy-induced alopecia
- An update on finasteride for male pattern hair loss
- Improved instruments and techniques in harvesting FUE grafts leading to better hair transplants
- Interesting cases from Operation Restore, the ISHRS pro bono program
The meeting also features numerous exciting formats and sessions, including a Live Patient Viewing where the audience can assess the results of real live patients from a variety of cases that utilized different approaches and techniques. In addition, an FUE Hands-On Course will allow participants to experience the different manual and motorized instruments for this type of donor harvesting technique.
Media interested in attending the meeting can register for complimentary press passes by contacting Matt Batt at [email protected] or Karen Sideris at [email protected].
About the ISHRS
The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) is a global non-profit medical association and a leading authority on hair loss treatment and restoration with more than 1,200 members throughout 70 countries worldwide. Above all, the ISHRS is dedicated to achieving excellence in patient outcomes by promoting the highest standards of medical practice, medical ethics, and research in the medical hair restoration industry. The ISHRS also provides continuing medical education to physicians specializing in hair transplant surgery and is committed to delivering the latest information on medical and surgical treatments to consumers suffering from hair loss, and most commonly from androgenetic alopecia—male pattern baldness and female pattern hair loss. It was founded in 1993 as the first international society to promote continuing quality improvement and education for professionals in the field of hair restoration surgery. For more information and to locate a physician, visit www.ishrs.org.
# # #