Awards Ceremony Video
Golden Follicle Award
The ISHRS 2020 Golden Follicle Award goes to Robert T. Leonard, Jr., DO, FISHRS.
He is a strong educator, teaching and introducing new doctors to the specialty and maintains a large knowledge of all the advancements in hair restoration. He is one of the most important educators in our field but also introduces the achievements of modern hair transplantation to the media and public.
Some highlights from Dr. Leonard’s career:
-Over 1 dozen publications in journals and textbook chapters
– Over 30 years’ experience in the field of hair restoration surgery.
– Academic appointments include Clinical Associate Professor of Family Medicine and Dermatology at the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine.
– Underwent a hair transplant surgery preceptorship at the Chambers Hair Institute under the late Dr. C.P. Chambers, where his passion for hair restoration began.
– Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery and a Fellow of the
ISHRS, and the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery.
– Served on the State of RhodeIsland Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline.
ISHRS Major Roles of Honor Past and Present:
-1st ISHRS World Congress Exhibits Chairman, 1993
– Founding Secretary of the ISHRS, 1993-1994
– World Congress Basic Course Chairman, 1995
– ISHRS President, 1995-1996, youngest ever
– Past-Presidents’ Committee for 20 years, 1998-2018
– Finance Committee, 2005-2007
– Program Co-Director, Made in Italy: ISHRS Live Video Surgery Workshop, Rome 2008
– Chairman, Communications and Public Education Committee, 1999-2017
– Strategic Task Force on Practice Guidelines and Physician Recognition
– Media Relations Committee, Chairman
-Core Curriculum Committee
– Chairman, Bylaws and Ethics Committee
– Board of Governors, 2015-2017
– ISHRS Regional Ambassador on the International Advisory Committee, 2017-2018
– Chairman, Newcomers Committee, 2017-2018
Personal Message from Dr. Leonard to the ISHRS
“I am humbled and truly honored to be the recipient of the International Society of hair Restoration Surgery’s (ISHRS) Golden Follicle Award. Because we had a virtual scientific meeting this year, it allowed me to celebrate this personal joy with my family and friends at home!
The ISHRS has been a huge part of my life and career for the last 27 years, volunteering and chairing several committees that helped to make the ISHRS what it is today—the premier medical resource of the treatment of hair loss for the entire world.
I am so happy and appreciative to the ISHRS for honoring my work over the last 27 years.
Platinum Follicle Award
The ISHRS 2020 Platinum Follicle Award goes to Moonkyu Kim, MD, PhD, FISHRS, from Seoul, Korea. He is both a hair transplant surgeon and a hair researcher. Over the years, he has conducted and been involved in many and very important research projects relevant to hair restoration surgery.
Together they have published many papers on hair biology related topics in highly ranked journals about different topics such as the gene expression of dermal papilla cells; gene expression comparisons in frontal vs beard hair; signalling pathways in hair growth including the Wnt/βcatenin pathway for which he won an ISHRS poster award in 2016, and lately he has published on exosomes.
He is a Professor of Dermatology and holds a PhD degree. Following his PhD, he spent some time as a postdoc fellow at the Dept. of Pathology of the University of Maryland in Baltimore. Then followed a 2-year period as a post-doc fellow at the Dept of Molecular Biology & Genetics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore.
He has been a member of the ISHRS since 2004, has attended 16 World Congresses, is an ISHRS Fellow, an ABHRS diplomate and member of the European Hair Research Society. He regularly speaks at International congresses on both hair transplant and hair research topics.
For the press release visit this page.
ISHRS 2020 World congress Program Chair
A well deserved appreciation and award goes to Dr. Bradley Wolf, MD, FISHRS as Program Chair for this year’s world congress. He started planning our live meeting which was going to take place in Panama, only to be re-routed as a virtual congress due to the pandemic. He did an incredible job putting together a world-class program of high-quality education.
ISHRS 2019-2020 President
We acknowledge the outstanding leadership of outgoing 2019-2020 President, Dr. Francisco Jimenez. It has been a challenging year, but he was able to charter new paths while continuing to stay focused on the ISHRS mission.
Comments are closed.